Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Updating Templates

We use Smartsheet to track progress of clients moving through our implementation process. With that, we often make changes to our process and want to add items to our different templates. In order to do so, we have to create the a sheet, make the changes, then save as a template, delete the old template, and repeat five times for our different templates.

Ideally it would be great be able to just update a template, and not have to go through the other steps. Is this something that Smartsheet is looking to improve on or build out?

Tags:

Comments

• The ability to modify a template would be extremely helpful for us also.

• Travis
    Travis Employee

Hi Andrew, this is a request we have heard before and I will add your vote for it!

I do have a suggestion to fix this for you. 

Rather than using templates as a template - use a sheet. Use a sheet as your template and share it to everyone as viewers. Whenever anyone needs to create a sheet from the "template", they would just make a copy of the sheet. This will allow you to make changes to the "template" without going through the steps you listed.

This would get you the exact same results as using an actual template but would make sharing and updating it easier. 

• Andrew Callahan
    edited 03/24/16

Why did I never think of that!! Thank you Travis!

This discussion has been closed.