COUNTIF Formula, exclude "FALSE" values

molly.schwarzmiller83806
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

I have a COUNTIF formula that is referencing multiple cells for a calculation depending on tier. If I use this version of the formula, the calculation will correctly exclude counting any cells with a "FALSE" value. If I have to skip a cell (i.e. can't use a colon reference to sum the data), then the formula counts the false values instead of excluding them.

Formula that works:

=IFERROR((SUM(BSF228, BSF229, BSF230, BSF231, BSF232, BSF233, BSF234, BSF235)), "FALSE") / (24 - (COUNTIF(BSF228:BSF235, "FALSE") * 3))

Formula that causes the FALSE values to be counted (in this example BSF234 needs to excluded in addition to any false values):

=IFERROR((SUM(BSF228, BSF229, BSF230, BSF231, BSF232, BSF233, BSF235)), "FALSE") / (21 - (COUNTIF(BSF228 + BSF229 + BSF230 + BSF231 + BSF232 + BSF233 + BSF235, "FALSE") * 3))

I also attached a screen shot for additional reference.In this screenshot, for Tier 2, the formula should exclude the FALSE values and row 234, so total should be 4/6= 67%, because only two of the values should be included, rows 229 and 235 instead of 4/21=19% which is bringing all the FALSE values in the calculation.

Thanks for any help!

Capture.JPG

Comments

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 04/19/19

Hi,

Can you share the sheet(s) or some screenshots with the row numbers and columns? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@getdone.se)

Have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Alejandra
    Alejandra Employee

Hi Molly,

In order for each cell to be evaluated individually within the COUNTIF function, the range must be formatted with a colon —like this BSF228:BSF235.

I think easiest way to get the results you're looking for would be to include another criteria to the COUNTIF making it a COUNTIFS, that will ignore row number 234 based on a criteria.

If I'm understanding this correctly, you may want to try a formula similar to this:

=SUMIF([Primary Column] 228:[Primary Column]235, <> "SCORE Pre-flight Build (Unit)", BSF228:BSF235) / (COUNTIFS(BSF228:BSF235, <> "FALSE", [Primary Column] 228:[Primary Column]235, <> "SCORE Pre-flight Build (Unit)") * 3)

I hope this helps!