Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Default sheet opening each time I open Smartsheet

Options
Monikka Mann
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

One of the users here at my company asked me a question and I wasn't sure how to answer it.

So I figured that perhaps someone in the community may have encountered this question and found a way to make it work. 

She has a report that I created for her and what she is asking is if there is a way that this report can be visible everytime she opens up the Smartsheet website.

Is there a way to have, I guess like a  "home page" for Smartsheet in that it automatically defaults to displaying a certain sheet each time you log in? I thought about making her a dashboard in Smartsheet Sights that would show the report information but I think I'd still come back to the same question of how do I make sure it pops up everytime she logs into Smartsheet.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Monikka

Comments

• JamesR
    JamesR ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 04/05/16
    Options

Go to the Properties of the sheet (bottom of Sheet menu) copy the secure URL.

Cretae Shortcut on Desktop or Bookmark in Browser.

James

• Monikka Mann
    Options

James, 

Thanks for your suggestion. That is an approach that I didn't think about.

But what she is looking for is to have the report open (and displayed) when she logs into Smartsheet.

Currently, I believe Smartsheet opens to the last sheet that you viewed and I'm wondering if there is a setting that can change that to where it opens a specific sheet.

Monikka

• JamesR
    JamesR ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

There are two issues here,

1 - if you leave your sheets open when you log out/shutdown then yes it will open to the last sheet you were using.  Down side of leaving sheets open is if the sheets are edited by more than one person then you run the risk of loosing data.  I always recomment that you chose the sheets before logging out.

2 - By doing the above and thn using the method I have discribed you will open to the sheet you want every time you open smartsheet, but you will need to open the other sheets tha you want to work on once in.

It is safer than leaving your sheets open all the time.

• Monikka Mann
    Options

James,

I followed your advice and showed my co-worker how to create a shortcut on her desktop that will take her directly to the report that she is interested in. So, thanks a ton for your help!

She didn't want to leave the sheet open; she was asking if Smartsheet has a way to switch from opening the last sheet accessed to a specific sheet when she logs into Smartsheet.

Monikka

• JamesR
    JamesR ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Monikka,

Smartsheet does not open any sheet when you log in normally.  If a sheet is open when you log in its because you did not close it before logging out or closing the browser window, therefore it remembers what you had open and opens them when you log in.  If you close all sheets  (each TAB X) then log out or close the browser when you open Smartsheet it will not open any sheets, it will take you to the home Tab. No Tabs open screen shot

The method I prescribed above allows you to open Smartsheet to a specific Sheet.

Home Tab.PNG

• Tim Meeks
    Tim Meeks ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I still wish and woudl REALLY like the ABILITY to set a HOME PAGE when a user opens Smartsheet. 

I am getting more use cases where I would like to use a SIGHT as the Home page. And put links to sheets or webforms that the user has to primarily use.  

It's SIGHT that is the default HOME page would allow a user to more quickly get to a Webform they repeatedly use instead of opening via teh Webform tab or finding in their email.

I can set the SIGHT as a shortcut for now.. but I would REALLY like the feature.

My +10 votes!   

• Chris McKay
    Chris McKay ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'd like to add my vote for this to be included. In addition, I'd like the ability to specify whether the page opens in fullscreen mode.

Using a SIGHT as a dashboard view with relevant information and links to web forms, reports etc. would dramatically improve buy-in/uptake as it presents a far less complex front end than the standard Home tab.

I wouldn't think this was a difficult change as the secure links are already provided in the Sharing pop-up.

• John Sephora
    Options

I also would like to vote this feature or at least the ability to set the default document that opens when a workspace is selected.

This discussion has been closed.