Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

What sheet types can I use the 'new' DURATION column in?

Options
Amye
Amye
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

I NEED to build a timesheet - of some kind - what sheet types, templates can I manipulate that have teh Duration field inbuilt (Gantt sheet is fine, we will just use the grid view). As from what I can see a 'blank template' does not come with Duration as an option. Is this correct?

Cheers team!

Comments

• Atus Bartal
    Atus Bartal ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 04/05/16
    Options

Amye,

This is correct, the blank template is very blank :)

You may start from it and build a project sheet, just be sure it will have columns of start date, end date,  duration, and to set the dependencies (in the Gantt view section  \ Project settings) to enabled. Then it will automatically calculate durations or dates (from 2 of 3 given data), even if you hide the Gantt chart. 

Or just simply start with a Project Sheet template (Create New \ Project Sheet). I would do so, and reorganize the columns as needed. 

Atus

Screenshot 2016-04-05 10.22.05.png

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 04/05/16
    Options

Amye,

If you have at least two Date type columns, you can open up a Gantt chart view.

If you can open up a Gantt chart view, you'll have able to access the Project Settings.

If you enable Dependencies, the system will add the Duration and Predecessor columns automatically. If columns exist with those names, it will ask you if you want to use them or to create new ones.

If you have created other columns with names like "New Duration", you'll need to assocaiate those with the Project Settings (if that is your intent)

Craig

• swehba
    Options

The new DURATION field is great, but it would be nice to define additional fields of type "Duration" without linking them to a start and end data. For example, I would like to track both the estimated durations for tasks as well as the actual durations it took to complete those tasks. It would be fabulous to be able to enter "1d" or "15m", etc. into a field of type Duration and then to be able to do calculations on it. Any chance of this appearing as a feature? Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.