RAG Roll-up formula

Could anyone help me with a formula I'm trying to perfect.

I am trying to create a formula that automatically captures RAG status for Children Rows and how this is communicated to the Parent rows.

The plan is essentially structured like this (images are attached):

• Project Plan Summary (Senior parent)
    • Main Tasks (Parent)
      • Activities (Children)
    • Main Tasks 2 (Parent)
      • Activities 2 (Children)

The formula I am using to count the children activities to populate the RAG status for the "Main Tasks" is:

=IF(COUNTIF(CHILDREN(), "Red") >= 1, "Red", IF(COUNTIF(CHILDREN(), "Yellow") >= 1, "Yellow", IF(COUNTIF(CHILDREN(), "Green") >= 1, "Green", " ")))

*This works fine as I want Red to always be flagged up no matter what*

The formula I have for the "Project Plan Summary" is:

=IF(COUNTIF(CHILDREN(), "Red") >= (COUNTIF(CHILDREN(), "Yellow") + COUNTIF(CHILDREN(), "Green")), "Red", IF(COUNTIF(CHILDREN(), "Yellow") >= (COUNTIF(CHILDREN(), "Green") + COUNTIF(CHILDREN(), "Red")), "Yellow", IF(COUNTIF(CHILDREN(), "Green") >= (COUNTIF(CHILDREN(), "Yellow") + COUNTIF(CHILDREN(), "Red")), "Green", IF(OR(COUNTIF(CHILDREN(), "Red") = COUNTIF(CHILDREN(), "Yellow"), (COUNTIF(CHILDREN(), "Red") = (COUNTIF(CHILDREN(), "Green")))), "Red", IF(COUNTIF(CHILDREN(), "Yellow") = COUNTIF(CHILDREN(), "Green"), "Yellow", "Green")))))

The formula above is meant to pick the mode from the "Main Tasks" and if there are two then pick the worst case to be flagged up.

What I need help with in particular is that if there are no status symbols in the "Main Task" rows (i.e they contain " ") I want the "Project Plan Summary" to also be blank.

If anyone could offer some insight I would be very appreciative, even if you can't thanks for reading my long post.

Capture.PNG

Comments

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!