Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Parent/Child Columns

ctc
ctc
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

Would anyone else find it useful to be able to assign a status of child to a selected number of consecutive columns adjacent to the designated parent? For me this would be useful in quickly hiding and unhiding child columns, and for including child sums in the parent, and for making sure that any new columns so added would be considered a child. It wouldn't have the same indent functionality that rows currently do.

Comments

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Every column 'knows' whether the main (primary) column is indented or not.

You can use sum(children()) on any parent row (for values that can be summed).

I am missing something.

Craig

• The first sentence of your reply refers to an indented primary column. As far as I know, currently only rows can be indented, not columns. I'm suggesting that a similar parent/child relationship feature be developed for columns less the indentation feature which wouldn't make any sense.

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

ctc

Ah. Now I understand.

I hope they improve the ability to hide/unhide columns. I have a "dev" view and "ops" view for many sheets and would like to switch back and forth.

You suggestion could help that.

Craig

• Travis
    Travis Employee

Thanks for the suggestionm, ctc! I will add it to our enhancement request list. 

This discussion has been closed.