Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Very strange formatting issue

Heidi Decker
Heidi Decker ✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

In my sheet, I keep my primary column font color "Red" until we take the first action. At that time I manually change the color to "Black". I do not have any conditional formatting that has any control over that column. I do have other columns that do have conditional formatting controlling them.

Here is the strange part.. in one of my columns that is controlled by conditional formatting and has a list drop down to select from. There is one item in the list "Walk In" that for some reason changes the font color of the primary column to "Black". It is the most bizzar thing I have ever come across, It took me a really long time to figure it out. I even deleted the row and re-entered it on a new line and it kept doing the same thing. So, I tried changing some of the other line items on the sheet to the "Walk In" and sure enough, it changed the color of the font in the primary column to "Black". To make it even stranger, if I create a new sheet form the old one, it doesn't happen anymore.  Anyway, I guess my solution is to just create a new sheet and go from there but has anyone else run into anything like this?

Comments

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Heidi 

Do you have any Conditional Formatting that impacts the entire row?

Craig

ps: you are lucky if that is the most bizarre thing you've seen. Tongue Out

• Heidi Decker
    Heidi Decker ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Craig,

Nope, nothing that affects the row. I'm beginning to think it's just that sheet and maybe something happened when we went from our trial to paid. That's about the time I noticed it.  Your PS makes it sound like there may be more surprises?

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 04/18/16

Heidi,

LOL. 

Not really. I've seen things.

So has Rutger Hauer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTzA_xesrL8

Sorry the Smartsheet issue wasn't something obvious.

Craig

• If you select Walk In, the text in the primary column turns black? And if you remove that option, the color changes back to red?

There must be a rule somewhere that is affecting that column. Even if you didnt select "change the font to black" there may be a rule with the standard font color (black) selected. Check your rules and make sure there isnt anything affecting the whole row.

How do you select Red as the primary column color? Manually or through a rule?

If you are still having trouble, post a screenshot of all your formatting rules. 

• Heidi Decker
    Heidi Decker ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 04/18/16

Hi Dave,

Yep, it's exactly like that. I manually change the color of the primary column and I am the one who created all the rules and have looked them over and over. There is nothing in any of my rules that even look at or do anything to the primary column.

I've pretty much given up on this one by just creating a new sheet with all the same information on it. The new sheet works just fine.

Thanks for following up.

• Strange...  I would email support@smartsheet.com if you run into this again. 

This discussion has been closed.