Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Cell Linking & Count Down

zane
zane
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

Hi everyone,

I am pretty new to Smartsheet. I need to create a 'central' sheet that contains a product number and the quantity needed, then this information will link to a number of different company sheets. When a company orders that product number they will fill in the quantity the ordered. I need that somehow lock up when all of the companies combined reach the total quantity of the product needed from the central sheet. Any suggestions on how to go about this?

Thanks

Comments

• Richard Rymill SBP
    Richard Rymill SBP ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Zane, start by sketching out the workflow, paying particular attention to Who enters data and who Consumes it, Views it or Moves the Process forward. That will help you see whcih sheets need Cell linking or Report Views. Then build the sheets haviing decided if the work flows left to right or vertically down.

Then decide what data you need to collect and name the columns accordingly.

Then run some test data through it and see how well it manages the workflow. use the formulas to create the stats and do all the calculations automatically.

Avoid Human entry by memory as much as possible and go for as much automation as you can. 

Good luck,

RichardR 

This discussion has been closed.