Is there a way to prevent users from moving on to next cell...

Is there a way to prevent users from moving on to next cell...

edited 12/09/19 in Using Smartsheet

...without entering a value in a particular cell?  For instance, I want to make sure that users enter a ZIP CODE is a row - If they do not, I would an error/warning to pop up or, at least, inability to save the entry without entering the ZIP.

Any suggestions?

2019-05-15 14_21_12-Contractor List - Master - Smartsheet.com_.png

Comments

• Andrée StaråAndrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 05/16/19

Hi,

There are a few ways to set this up.

• Add helper columns with formulas that would show a warning message
    • Add conditional formatting rules that would change the color if the field isn't filled in correct.

Would any of those options work?

Have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

• Absolutely - would you be able to guide me in setting up a helper column so that a warning is displayed?

Excellent!

Try something like this and continue the pattern.

=IF(ISBLANK([Mailing Address]@row); "Please Fill in Mailing Address"; IF(ISBLANK([Zip Code]@row); "Please Fill in Zip Code"; "Complete"))

The same version but with the below changes for your and others convenience.

=IF(ISBLANK([Mailing Address]@row), "Please Fill in Mailing Address", IF(ISBLANK([Zip Code]@row), "Please Fill in Zip Code", "Complete"))

Depending on your country you’ll need to exchange the comma to a period and the semi-colon to a comma.

Would that work?

Best,

Andrée

Screen Recording 2019-05-16 at 02.09 PM.gif

Best,

Andrée Starå

• Look promising - where do I enter your formula?  directly in my cell where I want the message?  First try gave me an "unparseable" error

• Never mind - Think I got it and it looks great!  Thank you.  I'll let you know if I have trouble but really appreciate it

• If you use a form, there is a "Required Field" checkbox that will not let them save unless it is filled. I hope this helps.

Required Field Checkbox.PNG

Excellent!

Happy to help!

Best,

Andrée

Best,

Andrée Starå