Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Data shuffled after I save

Trevor Walker
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

Hello all,

I have a sheet shared with 7 people.  Almost everytime I save there are multiple rows that are randomly shuffled into different spots on the sheet.  I have no formulas or macros...

I thought I would throw this out to the community, any ideas? 

Comments

• Jim Hook
    Jim Hook ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 04/27/16

Trevor,

The only time I've had a problem like this was when I had the same sheet open in two tabs on my browser and edited each of them inadvertently thinking I was only editing one of them. If the others that are shared on the sheets are editors, they may be moving things around so you see things moved after saving your changes or reloading. It's possible that another user is sorting rows if they have editor priveleges.

I no longer keep the same Smartsheet open at the same time in different browser tabs--too risky.

• Thanks for the feedback, Jim!  The same sheet is shared across a number of people, but the data is shuffled all over the wrong places (some rows get pasted in the bottom of the sheet, which is only ever edited by one person).  Super frustrating!

I will pay attention to multiple users playing with the data. 

• Travis
    Travis Employee

Trevor, make sure users are saving often and refreshing/saving when other users save changes (you are prompted to refresh when other users make changes). 

Every save is a version. We have seen if users do not refresh/save their sheets when others save changes, then the version of the sheet they are working on could be many versions behind the most recent. When that user finally saves their sheet, their version (which was many versions behind) is now the newest version and can cause some strange behavior like you described. 

I took a look at your account and I see users on your sheets have been skipping multiple versions (sometimes 20+ versions). 

Talk to your team and ask them to save often and if they notice another user has saved changes, refresh the sheet. Also, if they are not working in a sheet, close it (for example, dont keep the sheet open on your computer, go to lunch, come back and start working in it again - close the tab first).

This discussion has been closed.