Trouble with nesting formula, could use some advice

1_UTOPIAlk
1_UTOPIAlk ✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Formulas and Functions

Hello, 

I am attempting to use nested formula's to create a status update.  

I started with, =IF(NO(ISBLANK([Date Submitted to Engineering]),"Sent to Engineering")) and it worked fine.  The problem is I need to add multiple status options, with automation like this.  So I added the second status and it will not work.  Here is the new formula with the second status, I am not sure what I have done wrong.  

Can anyone help?

=IF(NO(ISBLANK([Date Submitted to Engineering]),"Sent to Engineering")),IF(NOT(ISBLANK([Site Survey Scheduled]1), "Site Survey Scheduled")

Is there an obvious mistake here?  I need to add about 10 status options to this formula, I think it is something to do with syntax, but maybe it's a wrong formula option in the beginning.  

Anyway, If someone can see the issue, I would greatly appreciate the help.

Thank you, 

Tags:

Comments

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi,

At a quick glance, I can see that you're missing a T in the first NOT.

=IF(NOT(ISBLANK([Date Submitted to Engineering]),"Sent to Engineering")),IF(NOT(ISBLANK([Site Survey Scheduled]1), "Site Survey Scheduled")

Did it work?

Have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• 1_UTOPIAlk
    1_UTOPIAlk ✭✭✭

Thank you for looking at this. 

It appears I made that error in translation for the discussion.  I am still getting the #unparseable response,  =IF(NOT(ISBLANK([Date Submitted to Engineering]1)),"Sent to engineering")), IF(NOT(ISBLANK([Site Survey Scheduled]1)), "site Survey Scheduled")))

I welcome any other suggestions.  

Thank you, Laura

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 05/27/19

Happy to help!

You have closing parenthesis after the first IF and that's not needed.

Syntax. IF(logical_expression, value_if_true, [value_if_false])

More info: https://help.smartsheet.com/function/if

Try something like this.

=IF(NOT(ISBLANK([Date Submitted to Engineering]@row)); "Sent to engineering"; IF(NOT(ISBLANK([Site Survey Scheduled]@row)); "Site Survey Scheduled"))

The same version but with the below changes for your and others convenience.

=IF(NOT(ISBLANK([Date Submitted to Engineering]@row)), "Sent to engineering", IF(NOT(ISBLANK([Site Survey Scheduled]@row)), "Site Survey Scheduled"))

Depending on your country you’ll need to exchange the comma to a period and the semi-colon to a comma.

Did it work?

Best,

Andrée

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!