Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

How do I convert Text (from a count) to a number?

Elaine Wright
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

Figured out how to use the COUNTIF to get a count within a column if a box is checked it contains a certain text in a dropdown, by changing the results to text (e.g., ...+""). However, what appear to be numbers are acutally text and I cannot sum them.

Any suggestions how to convert?

Thanks

Tags:

Comments

• Atus Bartal
    Atus Bartal ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I've found this in Smartsheet Help \ Using Formulas where you may find the solution: 

VALUE(): Converts a text value (that represents a number) to numeric format
    Certain formulas will always return a value in text format, even if it looks like a number. For example: =LEFT(Cost5, 3)returns the value 425, which looks like a number but is actually stored in Smartsheet as text. Using text values in a calculation will return an error message about invalid data types. Use the VALUE formula to convert text to numeric format.
    • Example: =LEFT(Cost5, 3) * 4
    • Result: #INVALID DATA TYPE
    • Example: =VALUE(LEFT(Cost5, 3)) * 4
    • Result: 1700
This discussion has been closed.