Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Allowing Team Members to update Smartsheet

Options
2»

Comments

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 08/16/16
    Options

That's what I meant exactly, Kennedy.

Sorry for the confusion.

Craig

• Brad Jones
    Brad Jones ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

While proper backups and alerts are necessary, I don't think that the permission level concern should go away.  After all, a backup is only there if a mistake was already made or a catastrophe has already happened.  At that point you're doing work to fix a problem that should not have happened in the first place.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure in the rest of the world.  Honestly I don't see why it shouldn't be true in this software as well.  Stop the problems before you have to spend time finding/fixing them.

We don't have to modify the existing user levels, which could be disruptive, but we could create a new access level called "EDITOR BASIC" where they have the same rights as "Editor cannot share" but without the right to delete rows.  That's probably the least invasive and the quickest fix.  I know it would help me to sleep better knowing that I don't have to scrutinize every notification checking for deleted rows on all of my projects sheets.

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

While I agre with the sentiment, I don't really want another user level.

The user permissions and levels are already confusing enough as it is (I set aside 30 minutes to explain them to new customers and nothing else)

The deletion of a row is a structural change - it should require the structural permissions dude (Admin).

While one could argue that adding a row is also a structural change, it is not quite the same as one is adding their own data and potentially deleting someone else's.

Aside to Brad:

" I know it would help me to sleep better knowing that I don't have to scrutinize every notification checking for deleted rows on all of my projects sheets."

What's your volume traffic?

What email system do you use?

Have you experimented with Zapier's email parser? It is free with Zapier.

If you use gmail, here's a search that will show you the ones where there have been deleted rows (for mail in your inbox)

label: inbox "smartsheet notifications" {"deleted row" "deleted rows"}

I hope you can sleep a bit better. I'm sure there is a solution in your email client.

Craig

• Has there been discussions to have a top admin that can pick from a list of permissions vs just set permissions only?

• Brad Jones
    Brad Jones ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks for the idea Craig.  I already filter my SS emails, I'll just set up another email filter to try and catch items from SS that include 'deleted'.Laughing

I don't want another user type either, but as there are already tens of thousands of users out there that depend upon the existing user level structures, I believe that adding a new user level has a lower headache potential for Smartsheets Company than telling all of their users that something they currently depend on has changed.  If you have another suggestion to stop users from deleting without changing the existing user permissions, please let the SS group know - because that seems to be the line they have drawn in the sand. (and it's a fair one)

As for training users, I would develop some videos man.  I've already developed 6 training videos and a 90pg manual for my company users.  When they ask questions, I point to the folder where they're stored.

• Brad Jones
    Brad Jones ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Still waiting for a solution to this problem.  This can be solved in so many ways, but still the problem persists.  Please fix this Smartsheet.

This discussion has been closed.