Removing System Generated column (Date) contents

wrightco12
edited 12/09/19 in Formulas and Functions

I have completed building and testing my sheet and Dashboards. I now want to remove the System Generated Date for all my Form entries used for testing. If I remove the column and reinsert it, the formulas dont work. Is there a simple way of removing the system generated date data?

Comments

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Can you describe your process in more detail and maybe share the sheet(s) or some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@getdone.se)

Have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Sure, I have created a sheet that complies the data from survey Forms. I submitted many forms for testing and now the sheet is ready to go. But since I have submitted so many forms for testing, I have dozens of entries for the System Generated Date. I do need the creation date but want the date to start when the my customer starts to us the survey tool, not to include the dates I used for testing. Now I want to remove all the testing data, including the creation date. Is there a way to remove that column of data without messing up my formulas. I am new to smartsheets so let me know if there might be a better way. If I delete the column, and add it back in, the formulas are all wacked. Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks

Sys Gen.jpg

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Happy to help!

You're getting that error because the reference to the formulas was removed.

My recommendation would be to delete all rows except the first one (depending on your sheet structure) and then copy the first row and paste as a new row and then delete the first one. You'll have one created date on the first one. Another option could be to create a template instead, and then the date would be from when the template is created.

Would any of those options work?

Best,

Andrée

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• I created a template as you suggested and it worked like a charm. Thanks so much for your help!

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent!

Happy to help!

Best,

Andrée

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!