Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Automatically update status icon

Christina C.
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

I would like to know if there is a way to automatically update the status icon? 

If I have 5 colums, first being the task, second: start date, third: complete date, fourth: target complete date and then an icon status column, is there a way to automatically have it go from either yellow or red to green once a Complete date has been entered?

Thanks in advance for your help on this matter!

Comments

• Hi Christina--great question! You could use an IF formula in the Status column to change the color of the icon in the Status column when the Complete date has been entered, like the example below:

=IF(NOT(ISBLANK(Complete1)), "Green")

This formula will check the referenced cell in the Complete column--if the cell is not blank, the Status cell will display a green icon.

If you want the cell to display a red or yellow icon if the cell is blank, you'll want to add that to the formula:

IF(NOT(ISBLANK(Complete1)), "Green", "Red")

Like in the first formula, this will check the Complete cell. If it is not blank, the Status cell will display a green icon. If the cell is blank, however, the Status cell will display a red icon.

If you want to add more conditions to this formula, I'd suggest checking out this article from our Support Blog on using Nested IF formulas to change the color of the RYG balls: https://www.smartsheet.com/blog/support-tip-automate-RYG-balls

Hope that helps!

• Kennedy,

I'm new to SS and found this helpful article.  Does this apply to a Text/Number column as well?  Basically, I need verbiage of status ("not started", "in progress", "complete") instead of RYG.

THANKS!

Janet

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Janet,

Yes it does.

For a Symbols column, the NestedIF statements return text which the GUI translates into the icon image. For your case, the text is enough.

I hope that helps.

Craig

This discussion has been closed.