Including headers in reports

CamCrichton
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

I have a nicely formatted tracker with indents that neatly group assets.

(header) long-range weapons

(indent) type 1

(indent) type 2

I have a report that shows all the necessary information except for the headers (ie, the non-indented group parent). The result is a bunch of useless reports full of generic info

(indent) type 1

(indent) type 2

Is there any way I can include the headers in the reports?

thanks,

Cam

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Cam,

Yes, there is!

There are a few ways to set it up, depending on your structure/need. Here are a few examples.

1. Add a checkbox column and name it something like, "Include in the report" and check the parent rows that you would like to include and update the report builder to add them.
    2. Add a checkbox column and name it something like, "Parent" and add a formula "=IF(COUNT(CHILDREN()) > 0; 1; 0)" that would only check the box when it's a parent row and update the report builder to include them.

Depending on your country you’ll need to exchange the comma to a period and the semi-colon to a comma.

Would any of those options work?

Have a fantastic day!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• thanks Andree,

added a checkbox, checked it, but I can't get it into the report.

can you elaborate on "and update the report builder to add them."

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Happy to help!

You have to update the report builder so that it includes the new column. In the what section you'd add the column and that it should be checked and it the section should be structured with OR.

The above might not work, depending on how your report is set up already.

Can you maybe share some screenshots of the report and builder? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@getdone.se)

Hope that helps!

Best,

Andrée

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• thanks again Andree,

the What has to be set to "and" (seems odd this is only a binary option) but I switched the blue boxes between the who, what, where to "or" (which doesn't make sense) but seems to work. The headers show up but unfortunately the listings in the report are not indented. I'll take what I can get at this stage, thanks for the help.

• ah spoke too soon - this shows up all the headers from the sheet, regardless of whether they are the parent of the item assigned to the artist or not. This creates a quagmire of headers. 

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Happy to help!

Unfortunately, it's not possible at the moment to use the indentation function in reports, but it's a great idea!

Please submit an Enhancement Request when you have a moment.

Best,

Andrée

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Are the headers you want to include always on the same level of indentation or isn't there a pattern?

Best,

Andrée

• I see this is an old thread, however trying the same to include a header when a child has an open task. The count feature is counting regardless if there is a zero or a one in the children checkbox.

I have the following formula for the children and then the parent.

=IF(OR(Status@row = "Not Started", Status@row = "In Progress", Status@row = ""), 1, 0)

=IF(COUNT(CHILDREN()) > 1, 1, 0)

Thanks for your thoughts,

Scott

• Leslie R
    Leslie R Employee

Hello @Scott Frajerman

When using the COUNT(CHILDREN()) function the formula is counting the number of child rows that have been indented beneath the parent. This does not require the child rows to have a check in the box in order to count, it is just determining whether the children exist.

If you are wanting to only count the number of children rows that have a check based on the value in the Status column, you'll want to change the COUNTIF function instead.

An example of this recommendation would be:

• =IF(COUNTIF(CHILDREN(), 1) >= 1, 1)

I hope this information helps to automate your checkbox in order to display the parent row as needed in your Report.

Kindly,

Leslie