Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

How do you archive Sheets without deleting them?

Rory Power
Rory Power ✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

Hi,

Β 

I was hoping that I could get some information on how I archive sheets?

Tags:

Comments

• Not sure if there is a more sophisticated answer and any automation around this although is it as simple as simply moving into an archive folder.

• Kennedy Stomps
    Kennedy Stomps Employee
    edited 06/23/16

Hi Rory-- There are a couple of approaches customers generally take in regards to retiring sheets they no longer use:

Β 

• Export or Backup your sheet, save it to a shared file server or cloud service like Box or Drive, then delete the sheet. This places the data into an Excel format, so you can access the data outside of Smartsheet orΒ Import the data if needed later. The Backup also compresses the Attachments to allow you to download them locally and places Discussion info on the second page of the Excel workbook.

Β 

Alternatively, you could save your sheet as a Template which doesn’t go against a sheet count. Or,Β you could create a new sheet called Archive, put each sheet name on a row, create a backup (as in #1) of the sheet then attach the backups to rows on the Archive sheet so users can easily open the Excel file with the data.Β 

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Rory,

Β 

Here's an older thread on the subject:

https://community.smartsheet.com/discussion/how-do-i-archive-workspace-after-ive-completed-project

Β 

Since that thread was posted, I've pretty much migrated to a complete "Save As Template" methodology. For Reports, I take a screen shot of the Report Builder and store it for later if needed.

Β 

Also be aware that backing up to Excel is not a true backup - data is saved but not formulas or formatting.

Β 

Craig

Β 

This discussion has been closed.