Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Extract Numbers from Text and convert to Text

Options

Hi,

I have many rows of texts with each having a number within brackets. I would like to be able to extract the numbers from the texts, convert to number and sum them to get the total. I understand that the VALUE function can be used to convert text to number. However, I'm not sure how to extract the numbers from text.

Eg: ABC (23)

DEFG (11)

KLM (13)

AK (123)

I want to extract 23, 11, 12 and 123. 

Is there a way to do this please?

Tags:

Comments

• Peter Kirkham
    Options

Meenakshi, you'll need to manipulate your strings to isolate the numerical digits between the brackets before applying the VALUE function. Assuming your text is formatted exactly as you describe, the function you are looking for is:

=VALUE(MID([Primary Column]1, FIND("(", [Primary Column]1) + 1, LEN([Primary Column]1) - FIND("(", [Primary Column]1) - 1))

Where [Primary Column] is the column containing your text strings. I'm sure there are other ways of doing it, but this formula works.

• Meenakshi Sundaram S
    edited 06/27/16
    Options

Super!!! That worked. Thanks so much. Didn't know about the FIND operator.

• JUSTIN.JUSTIN
    edited 04/26/17
    Options

This is close to what I'm tying to do but can't seem to get it.

*see photo here http://oi63.tinypic.com/e8uzyx.jpg *

How would I go about getting the last 7 characters from "OPTION" Column into "RETAIL UNIT PRICE" column in a way that I can then multiply it as a number? For instance,  When using the "TOTAL" column and other math elsewhere, I need the "RETAIL UNIT PRICE" column contents to be a number value, not just say "0002.00" (represents $2.00).

The goal is to have my dropdown items in "OPTION" to have a unique price attached to each of them, that way it auto calculates. HELP!! and THANK YOU!!

This discussion has been closed.