How can I get the number of checkboxes checked in a single column ?

Hello,

I'm trying to get the number of checkboxes that are checked in a given column (more precisely, A10 - Transcode colum) without using another column to do so (in this case, Valeur A10 - Transcode column which displays ''1'' when a box is checked and ''0'' when it's not the case).

As you can see in the screenshots, I am actually able to see the sum of the checkboxes that are checked with a very simple SUM formula... but I guess there is a more efficent way to do so ?

Should I use a SUMIF or a COUNTIF ?

Many thanks,

Francis Comtois

2019-07-18_09-45-45.png

2019-07-18_09-48-44.png

Comments

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Francis,

Try something like this.

=COUNTIF([A10  Transcode]:[A10  Transcode]; 1)

The same version but with the below changes for your and others convenience.

=COUNTIF([A10  Transcode]:[A10  Transcode], 1)

Depending on your country you’ll need to exchange the comma to a period and the semi-colon to a comma.

Did it work?

Have a fantastic day!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

You could use a basic

=COUNTIFS([A10 - Transcode]2:[A10 - Transcode]2454, 1)

This will look at the checkbox column itself and eliminate the need for the helper column with 1's and 0's in it.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!