Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Automatically creating a new sheet

cmharper
cmharper
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

We have a form where new employee data is entered, which auto-populates a dashboard smartsheet. What I'd like to do is have a new smartsheet using the data from the new row in the dashboard to create a sheet (from an existing onboarding checklist template) for the new employee to track their progress. Does anyone know how to do this?

Tags:

Comments

• Greg Gates
    Greg Gates ✭✭✭✭✭

It isn't "automatic," but you could setup the a row of cells in your new sheet (based off the template) to link back to the cells in your form sheet. As long as the columns are in the same order, I imagine this would be pretty painless! If you haven't done it before, here's their tutorial video on the topic: https://www.smartsheet.com/cell-linking

• cmharper
    cmharper
    edited 06/30/16

Thanks Greg. I am actually looking for each new employee to have a new smartsheet created when a new line is added to the dashboard sheet so everyone has their own sheet to track progress through orientation. I am not sure SS can do this...

• Hi Cmharper-- We don't currently support automatically creating new sheets when data is added to another sheet (or a form is submitted). I've added your vote for this to our enhancement request list, but in the meantime, you'd need to create these sheets manually, then share them out to users as desired. You might consider creating a template to help speed up this process, if you haven't already!

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Once the template is created, Zapier could be used to provide the automation.

(www.zapier.com)

Craig

• Thanks everyone. Turns out Zapier will do the trick! :)

• Kennedy Stomps
    Kennedy Stomps Employee
    edited 07/11/16

Great suggestion, Craig! :)

• Zapier looks great but the functions that it can carry out are limited. For Smartsheets, you are limited to 4 triggers: Updated Row, New Row, New Attachment, or New Comment. There are also glitches within these triggers. e.g. if you insert a row but do not populate any data then it will trigger giving you a useless sheet. You can probably imagine how cluttered our sheets could get if it's randomly generating unneeded sheets. 

What I'm trying to do is to generate a sheet from a template if a checkbox is checked. 

We have a construction company and are using a smartsheet to track projects. Some of these projects are bid and have a set price and others are charged by time and materials used. I would like to use a different template depending on the type of job. 

2017-06-16_1308.png

• joechap
    joechap ✭✭

Another problem with Zapier is that my company doesn't have a working agreement with them and they didn't participate in our InfoSec review process. We can't treat them as a trusted third-party and give them access to potentially sensitive data.

• MM
    MM

Hello, 

I'm wondering if you have since found a way to do this. I need the same function. 

Thanks for your response in advance.

• ker9
    ker9 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I would also like this capability.  Create a sheet from a Form (using a template).

• ker9
    ker9 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I added my vote for this with an enhancement request.

Would be great to create a new sheet from form submission.

This discussion has been closed.