Automation: Request an update but my contacts are not in a contact column

Jed Rusyniak
Jed Rusyniak ✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Formulas and Functions

I'm working on a sheet that has a formula that is running an INDEX/MATCH to populate the Carrier Contacts based of the trucking company's Unique SCAC code.  The fomula is working great now and I have the cells populated with the email contacts for the carriers.  I am now trying to write an automation "Request an Update" but since my contacts are populated with a formula they are in a "TEXT/NUMBER" column not a "CONTACT" column.  Is ther a way to get the automation request to ignore the requirement for the column to be formated as a Contact column?

Screen Shot 2019-07-27 at 3.12.27 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-07-27 at 3.14.31 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-07-27 at 3.15.43 PM.png

Comments

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Jed,

I think I answered this already!

Excellent news! Formulas in contact columns are coming verysoon.

Coming Soon: A New Way to Assign Work

Formulas like =VLOOKUP enable your sheets to automatically returnkey data based on its association with a unique identifier. Today, formula output cannot be in a contact column, but we plan on supporting this very soon.

What does this mean for you? Teams that field requests in IT, marketing, and other departments will be able to automatically assignincoming requests to the correct person. This will help eliminate the manual process of assigning new work,and get the right people working on the right things more quickly.

For example, if you are a West Coast regional manager for a consulting firm, you can create a sheet for tracking customers. Using a Smartsheet form, prospective customers can fill out their name and address to request a bid.

With the forthcoming capability, you’ll be able to quickly setup a formula in the contact column then, dependent on the submission, look up the state and which regional manager is responsible. The correct person is assignedto that customer, and a notification is generatedto let them know they have a new opportunity to work — all without anymanual input.

One of Smartsheet’s fundamental commitments to our customers is continuous improvement. Ensuring that you can move from idea to impact — fast — is critical. Be on the lookout for performance enhancements that will improve formula speed within your sheets. We’re happy to share these changes with you,and look forward to many more to come. 

Hope that helps!

Have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Jed Rusyniak
    Jed Rusyniak ✭✭✭✭

That is fantastic.  I have a little work around for now, but it is dependent on a user to copy and past as values from one column to another.    Is there a way for me to be notified of this update when it is launched?

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I'll let you know as soon as I see it's available. 

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi,

It's released now! laugh

https://community.smartsheet.com/announcement/announcing-formula-support-contact-columns

Have a fantastic day!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!