Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

How to populate % Complete from another Text/Number column that has a formula

David Pineda
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

Hi,

I'm trying to calculate and populate % Complete automatically using check boxes fields. For example I have 3 check boxes for 3 main activities per record. So I created I new field Count Check Text/Number field where I check if the first check box is checked the new count is 33%, if the second is checked with the first one the count will be 66% and if they are all checked the total will be 100%. And that all is working using nested IF statements. 

Now the quesition is how can I populate the % complete using tose values so the main % for each group  (Of all children records) of activities is updated correctly. I noticed when I copy the child % Count into the child % Complete, the main group % displayed an incorrect value.

I don't know if this is even possible.

Thanks,

David

Comments

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

David,

First, if Project Settings are on, you can't put a formula in the % Complete column.

Al Project dependencies are locked from end-user formulas. 

Frown

However, you can calculate it yourself for display purposes.

See this thread for how the % Complete is calculated by Smartsheet:

https://community.smartsheet.com/discussion/percent-calculation

If the tasks have equal weight (regardless of duration or allocation) then your just looking at a sum of the complete ones / sum of the total ones

I hope that helps.

Craig

This discussion has been closed.