Parent/Child Rows

NLegresley
edited 02/15/24 in Smartsheet Basics

Hello

I have built a production schedule for our assemblies in our shop. 

We have a parent line with the Job# and the assembly being built. We then have indented child rows under the parent row for all the individual components needed to build the parent line. We track if these items have been received by changing a column drop down menu to received. What we would like is to have Smartsheet make the parent line auto change to received if all the child lines are marked as received. Is there a way to do this? 

Thanks in advance. 

Comments

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Try something like this.

=IF(COUNTIF(CHILDREN(); "Received") = COUNT(CHILDREN()); "Received")

The same version but with the below changes for your and others convenience.

=IF(COUNTIF(CHILDREN(), "Received") = COUNT(CHILDREN()), "Received")

Depending on your country you’ll need to exchange the comma to a period and the semi-colon to a comma.

Did it work?

Hope that helps!

Have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• The second formula worked but I guess we have to paste it into the parent line each time we make a new entry for it to work. 

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent!

There is a way to have it added to all rows but only trigger on parent rows, but then it can't be placed in the same column as the children "Received" status or the other way around.

Can you describe your process in more detail and maybe share the sheet(s) or some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@workbold.com)

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• In the attached image there is the "Item Status" column. This is changed to Received for the child lines when parts are received. We then want the parent line to auto update to received when all child lines are received. 

When we add a new build it is manually entered so if we could have the formula auto added to the parent line that would be what we are looking for. 

Our shipper/receiver receives the product at one end of our shop so updating Smartsheet and having it auto update the parent line tells our production manager at the other end of the shop that all parts are present and that they can start the assembly. It will be help full as you don't have to expand rows to see if everything has been received. 

Capture.PNG

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 08/21/19

Depending on the setup of the Parent rows and how much they need to be edited after the fact, you could just take the working formula and wrap in in an IF statement that basically says if it is a parent row, run the formula, otherwise leave the cell blank.

You can have parent rows locked to keep them from being edited, and editing the blank child rows will simply override the formula and register as whatever was manually entered.

=IF(COUNT(CHILDREN([Work Order #]@row)) > 0, working formula, "")

This will give you the ability to dragfill the formula down the column and not have to worry about parent vs child rows.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Happy to help!

I saw that Paul answered already!

Let me know if I can help with anything else!

Best,

Andrée