Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Showing weekend dates with conditional formatting

Options
Becky Swanwick
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

Hi there,

Is there any way of showing weekend dates with conditional formatting? I would just like to add this to my schedules, so that when they're being updated, any dates that knock on to a weekend are highlighted for me.

Note: some of my suppliers work at weekends and some don't, so I can't just change my settings to show Monday to Friday, but I do need to know when weekends fall.

Thanks,

Becky

Comments

• Greg Gates
    Greg Gates ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Absolutely! The easiest way to do this would be to add an extra column to your sheet that determines whether a date falls on a Weekend or not. The formula might look something like this (1 is "Sunday", and 7 is "Saturday"):

=IF(OR(WEEKDAY([Date Column]1) = 1, WEEKDAY([Date Column]1) = 7), "Weekend", "Weekday")

Then, do your conditional formatting based on the result in this column. It might look something like:

If DayTypeColumn is "Weekend" then apply this format (red background) to the Date Column

Since you don't actually need to see the new column at all, I would probably just hide it once you've put the formula in. I hope that helps! Let me know if you have any questions.

• This is interesting Greg!

I was browsing to see if I can get an answer for the question I am having. 

I have a one task (row ) for deployment in one of project sheet. But deployment does not happen on specific days in a year. 

So for that one deployment task if some put a date that is one amoung the blackout dates (no deployment days)  can i highlight it or format it in some form ?  

How do i accomplish that? any thoughts?

• Becky Swanwick
    Options

Thanks, Greg, I was hoping to get away without adding another column, but I guess not! At least it is possible, so that's good anyway :)

This discussion has been closed.