Reference Another Sheet without Function

Options
alex44
alex44
edited 12/09/19 in Formulas and Functions

We use "Reference Another Sheet" quite a bit in our sheets. We do this by starting a function in a cell, then putting an open parenthesis, then clicking on the link in the resulting dialog box that reads "Reference Another Sheet" . This works fine.

The thing I'm running into is sometimes I want to reference another sheet *without* using a formula - i.e. I want the cell of one sheet to carry over to the cell of another sheet without any function applied or editing of the data. (There are many of our situations where this makes more sense thank Cell Linking.)

I have found that I can't "get to" that link called "Reference Another Sheet" unless I first use a function (and left parenthesis). So what I end up doing is temporarily using a function: 

=SUM({create other sheet reference...})

then I delete the SUM, ( and ). This works but is a bit tedious.

Is there a way to do Reference Another Sheet in a cell without using a function first?

Tags:

Comments

• Alejandra
    Alejandra Employee
    edited 08/27/19
    Options

Hello,

The only other way to create a cell reference to another sheet would be through cell linking. When you have a moment, submit a Product Enhancement Request to let our Product team know that you'd like to have this functionality in Smartsheet. 

• alex44
    Options

Thanks for the comment - it helps to know that I'm not just "missing" something.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I am very curious...

Could you provide some use cases where a stand-alone cross sheet reference (without a supporting function) would work differently/better than a basic cell link?

I use quite a bit of cell linking and am wondering if maybe there is a way I can make my mess a little more efficient.

• Alex Hackford
    Options

I have a use case for this...

I need to calculate offer acceptance rates for our TA team. I have one sheet that calculates Total Hires for each recruiter, and another sheet that calculates Total Offers (hires + offer declines) for each recruiter. On my Offer Acceptance Rate sheet I want to divide Total Hires/Total Offers for each recruiter to get the acceptance rate. I've tried starting with =sum( and referencing each sheet, then deleting the SUM function but I'm getting invalid operation errors.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!