Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Update Request Feature Request

Options
Bill Brandt
Bill Brandt ✭✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

When I send an update request it is usually schedule related. I often have a item that is several subtasks down. Please make it so that when I select on of those it displays the hierarchy of the tasks above. Currently I have to select each layer and then they show up as individul entry pages with no editable data which is very confusing to the user and if every activity dosn't have a unique decription they can forget which hierarchy they are in. Simply displaying it on the entry page would be much cleaner. It would also be nice to be able to choose which fields are editable at time of request ILO remebering to lock and unlock columns.

Comments

• Kennedy Stomps
    Options

Hi Bill-- Thanks for this feedback! I have passed this along to our Product team.

• Atus Bartal
    Atus Bartal ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 07/28/16
    Options

+ 1 vote - Yes, it would be very important to see the parents of the tasks as well, otherwise the latter cannot be identified (most of the times). 

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Add mine as well.

I often have the same task but related to a different part of the project "update documentation" or some generic task but related to a specific summary task item.

Currently, I'm pulling those down in a separate column based on the parent so they show up in Reports and filters.

Craig

• Kennedy Stomps
    Options

Hi Atus and Craig, I have added your votes!

• Mike Holliday
    Options

Add 100 votes from my team and I as well. We have a SmartSheet that is over 1,200 rows and growing. Some action items are nested several layers deep. Many of the same subtasks are listed over and over again for the differnt items. If I "Send Update Request" on a subtask the recipient has to go search for the requested item and see what it higher-level items it is nested under, I don't think you guys could implement this fast enough!  Thanks

• Mike Holliday
    edited 08/19/16
    Options

So, I've added a colum with this formula: 

=JOIN(ANCESTORS([Task Name]503), " - ")

This works to get us the heiracrhy, but we need to ensure that the formula gets copied to each row. Having this automated would be nice.

Thanks

• Shane Jimerfield
    edited 12/16/16
    Options

+1 from our team as well. The update request is quite useless for some of our sheets as some of our sheets have subtasks that have the same name. Without displaying the hierarchy the request is meaningless. We really would like to see this feature, where the request shosws the Sheet nam, and the hierarchy on the form.

• Clare Shemeta
    Options

Add my vote as well. I  am now manually typing the parent task hierarchy...

This discussion has been closed.