Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Calculating the task completion

Options
John Mckenzie
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

I know this must be simple but unfortunately so am I

I am managing a project and I have set it up with a fairly standard heirarchy of task (parent) and sub tasks (child).  The sub tasks have a number of individual work items associated with them and I want to use the number of individual work items completed to automatically calculate the %age complete.  It looks like this

Start date   End Date  No of items  No complete  %age complete

PARENT - Wall repairs

CHILD 1 - Room 1         1/6/16          12/6/16       20                    10                 50%
      CHILD 2 - Room 2         13/6/16        27/6/16      40                    10                 25%

At the moment I am having to manually enter the %age complete field but I want to calculate it based on the previous cells.  Where I think it might get complicated is I don't want to do this for every cell in the column I want to retain the ability to manually enter the completion for a number of the items which don't lend themselves to doing it this way, is this possible?

Cheers

John

Screenshot 2016-07-26 10.20.39.png

Comments

• Atus Bartal
    Atus Bartal ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

John,

It I understand you well, you would like to have a formula in the [%age complete] column and to have the ability to overwrite it sometimes.

Yes, you can do so. The formula is =[No complete]1 / [No of items]1  {for the 1st row - the Percentage Format button should be "On" on the left toolbar}, and you can overwrite any of the cells with a typed-in % value (however, you have to copy the formula in if you need automated calculations again).

I hope it helps.

Atus 

• John Mckenzie
    edited 07/28/16
    Options

Hi thanks for the response

Is the syntax important; the cell contents look like this

'=[No completed]44 / [No of work items]44

which are the true names of the columns and the first row I would like it to apply to but it doesn't return a value nor an error it just contains the text.  The speech mark at the beginning cannot be removed or at least it can but it keeps getting reinserted

Cheers

John

• Atus Bartal
    Atus Bartal ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 07/28/16
    Options

Okay, It must be because the Gantt Dependencies are using that column for Dependency Settings. If you want it to be editable, remove the column from Options in Gantt Settings:

(set "--None--")

Atus

%age.JPG

This discussion has been closed.