Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Calculating the task completion

John Mckenzie
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

I know this must be simple but unfortunately so am I

I am managing a project and I have set it up with a fairly standard heirarchy of task (parent) and sub tasks (child).  The sub tasks have a number of individual work items associated with them and I want to use the number of individual work items completed to automatically calculate the %age complete.  It looks like this

Start date   End Date  No of items  No complete  %age complete

PARENT - Wall repairs

CHILD 1 - Room 1         1/6/16          12/6/16       20                    10                 50%
      CHILD 2 - Room 2         13/6/16        27/6/16      40                    10                 25%

At the moment I am having to manually enter the %age complete field but I want to calculate it based on the previous cells.  Where I think it might get complicated is I don't want to do this for every cell in the column I want to retain the ability to manually enter the completion for a number of the items which don't lend themselves to doing it this way, is this possible?

Cheers

John

Screenshot 2016-07-26 10.20.39.png

Comments

• Atus Bartal
    Atus Bartal ✭✭✭✭✭✭

John,

It I understand you well, you would like to have a formula in the [%age complete] column and to have the ability to overwrite it sometimes.

Yes, you can do so. The formula is =[No complete]1 / [No of items]1  {for the 1st row - the Percentage Format button should be "On" on the left toolbar}, and you can overwrite any of the cells with a typed-in % value (however, you have to copy the formula in if you need automated calculations again).

I hope it helps.

Atus 

• John Mckenzie
    edited 07/28/16

Hi thanks for the response

Is the syntax important; the cell contents look like this

'=[No completed]44 / [No of work items]44

which are the true names of the columns and the first row I would like it to apply to but it doesn't return a value nor an error it just contains the text.  The speech mark at the beginning cannot be removed or at least it can but it keeps getting reinserted

Cheers

John

• Atus Bartal
    Atus Bartal ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 07/28/16

Okay, It must be because the Gantt Dependencies are using that column for Dependency Settings. If you want it to be editable, remove the column from Options in Gantt Settings:

(set "--None--")

Atus

%age.JPG

This discussion has been closed.