Really LIKE the new sidebar

Richard
Richard ✭✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

It seems that the new sidebar is being disliked a a lot. I'm wondering why so much. I've always found that there is so much in Smartsheet that is all over the place and have not used the features because of this. Knowing where to go and you know you've seen everything is good in my opinion. The summary section is fantastic and to see all sheet and row attachments in one place is great. Hopefully all the pop up windows will now appear in the sidebar. As for it not autoclosing, when it does do that, all you want it to do is to stay open :) I get exasperated with other software where it closes before you're ready. Just my thoughts...

Thanks

Cheers

Richard

Tags:

Comments

• ricki
    ricki ✭✭✭✭✭✭

My issue is that you used to be able to have multiple tabs open more easily. Now the only way to do that is through the browser tabs. I hate having to constantly go back to the sidebar to switch between my few more common sheets. I liked it much better when what I wanted was just visible and easy to click on

Also, you already had access to the sheet and row attachments before this change, it was just located at a tab at the bottom (I think) rather than on the right side

I also like the old menus. Much easier to switch between card and grid view with direct buttons to each. Now you have to click on a dropdown menu and really stop to think to make sure you click the right option

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I don't have a problem with the new attachments layout either. The paperclip is still in the same place it has been for quite some time now. It's just that it opens in a sidebar instead of a popup.

I kind of like being able to see and navigate the sheet while still being able to view all of the sheet and row attachments as opposed to the previous style where a popup window would block you view and have to be closed before you could navigate the sheet.

As for the tabs... I also prefer the individual browser tabs. It isn't a problem to have a few of them open in a window and working between multiple sheets at the same time is actually smoother (in my opinion) than the old way of having multiple sheet tabs open within the same browser window.

Once I get each of my regularly used sheets open in their own tabs (using browser bookmarks thanks to the individual browser tabs also leading to unique url's), I don't need the left menu often which is made even nicer by being able to collapse it and get more of the actual sheet on the screen.

I also haven't had an issue switching between views. Sure, you have to access them through a dropdown, but the only real difference is that the buttons are in a vertical layout as opposed to a horizontal (aside from the obvious fact that you have to click one button to access the others).

Overall, I personally have been pretty pleased with most of the enhancements as of late. Would I prefer other enhancements over some of the ones that have been rolled out? Sure. But thus far nothing that has been rolled out lately has been so problematic that it has slowed down my work once I became familiar with the changes.