Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Importing csv, google sheet, or excel data directly into an existing sheet.

Why can't you import excel, csv, or google sheet data directly into an existing sheet? Every time it just creates a new sheet, and then I must copy and paste the information into the sheet I wanted to place the data. In Access or other database apps, you can match fields and just import the fields you want directly into a database. The issue comes from a sheet not having additional columns or having fields in different positions. The copying and pasting just seems like extra steps that could be fixed with direct imports. Is this a problem for anyone else?

Comments

• Hi Staycie-- At this time, Smartsheet simply doesn't have the ability to map data from an outside file into an existing sheet. It's a feature that would be hard to get right, and though we might consider this for a future update, it's not currently on our Product Roadmap. I've passed your feedback on to our Product team to consider, thank you for the input!

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Staycie,

Here's a process I often use:

1. import sheet

2. modify as necessary

3. move rows to the final sheet

4. more modification if necessary

This requires the final sheet and the imported sheet (Excel) to have the same names but since I created both (or helped create them), then they match.

Process typically takes less than a few minutes.

Steps (2) and (4) are for formulas, pre-defined predecessors (which need to match the row ID's in the final sheet, not the imported sheet), and other things like that.

Craig

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Staycie,

Smartsheet just released a new add-on called Data Uploader that could be an option for you.

Please see the attached link/screenshot for more information.

https://www.smartsheet.com/datauploader

I hope this helps you!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

This discussion has been closed.