Copy/ Paste Cells With Multiple Lines Doesn't Work

Welcome to the New Smartsheet Online Community

You’ll notice that things have changed a bit. If you need help getting oriented, please take a look at the posts here in the Welcome to the Community category.

Copy/ Paste Cells With Multiple Lines Doesn't Work

edited 12/09/19 in Using Smartsheet

I've been digging through community for resolution to this issue, but I'm coming up empty.

I need to be able to copy/ paste multiple rows of data that have "multi-row (alt+enter)" information from Excel (and Smartsheet). Currently, when I try to copy and paste these "multi-row" cells, they spill into separate cells instead of staying together. It DOES work if I do them one at a time, but I have hundreds of rows of data - it's not a feasible solution to do it one at a time.

Is there a trick to being able to copy multiple rows and not have all of the information spill onto another separate row instead of the same cell? I've been using VLOOKUPs between Smartsheets to perform this task, but it is pretty painful.

Anyone have any tips??

Comments

• Andrée StaråAndrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi NikkiAke,

I'd recommend trying to import the excel sheet and then moving/copying the rows to the sheet instead.

Would that work?

Hope that helps!

Have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Best,

Andrée Starå

• Thanks for the suggestion. I have tried this and it is very hit or miss. :(

What's not working?

Best,

Andrée Starå

• It spills over the text into multiple cells instead of keeping it in one.

Ok.

This is probably why.

TIP: If you've copied a multi-line cell in Excel or other program, double-click on the cell in Smartsheet before pasting it in to prevent the lines from spilling over into the cells below.

More info: https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/518318-tips-for-using-copy-and-paste

Hope that helps!

Best,

Andrée Starå