Combining 2 Formulas

Kyle Lewis
Kyle Lewis ✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Formulas and Functions

Hi,

I have a column that is calculating today minus a date that is in another column. I have another column that is taking the days and converting it to weeks. Then i have another column that is taking the weeks and rounding down to 1 decimal point. 

Is there a way to combine the column converting to weeks and the column rounding down?

Here are my formulas:

=NETWORKDAYS([Start Date]@row, [Finish Date]@row) - 1

=[Duration (Days)]@row / 7

=ROUNDDOWN([duration weeks]@row, 1)

Thanks for the input!

Tags:

Comments

• L_123
    L_123 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

ROUNDDOWN(((NETWORKDAYS([Start Date]@row, [Finish Date]@row) - 1)/ 7,1

Give that a try. Smartsheet is pretty friendly at combining formulas, usually you just need to treat a formula as an output when dealing with multiple, if that makes any sense. It is kind of like basic algebra

example=

ab + c = X

Xy + b = z

therefore

(ab+c)y + b = z

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Another way of explaining it...

Enter the cell that is [duration weeks]@row as if you are going to edit it. Highlight everything except for the beginning =.

Enter the cell containing the [duration weeks]@row cell reference, and highlight that reference. 

Paste the formula (minus the first = of course) that was in cell [duration weeks]@row into where that cell reference was.

I use this method quite frequently when building complex formulas to test each part out individually while using cell references to keep it all working together. I then work backwards and replace cell references with the formulas that were in those cells.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

• Kyle Lewis
    Kyle Lewis ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the help. The formula worked great!

Thanks for the explanation Paul! 

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Happy to help! yes

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!