Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Auto-numbering not working anymore!

Samir Halim
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

Hi,

With the new update, the auto-numbering doesn't work anymore. I get the same numbers everytime with a new row. 

Please help!

Comments

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 08/08/16

Samir,

I could not reproduce this. I have several sheets that use auto-numbering. I didn't test them all, but a few -- all seem OK.

I created a new sheet and that seems OK too.

Contact support@smartsheet.com

They might be able to help.

Craig

• Kennedy Stomps
    Kennedy Stomps Employee
    edited 08/08/16

Hi Samir-- Please do contact our Support team! This is something our Operations team is currently looking into and we want to know how many users are encountering this issue.

• Thanks you for fast replay, I also created a new sheet and it works fine.

But I am still having the problem with my old sheet which I am using.

I contacted Support team, hopefully they can help me out.

• Paul H
    Paul H ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I am having the same problem with a sheet, just came back from a long weekend and have a dozen webform submisions all numbers the same.

Unt2tled.png

• This is what I received today.

"Hi Samir,

Thanks for contacting Smartsheet Support. We have identified a bug that was introduced with the release over the weekend that is causing problems with the Auto-Number column. Our developers are researching the issue and treating it as a high priority.

I’ll circle back once I see that a fix has been put in place."

Smartsheet support team is working on it.

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

It is unfortunate that with all the problems people are having with this release that the http://status.smartsheet.com/ only shows issues with notifications.

Craig

• Kennedy Stomps
    Kennedy Stomps Employee
    edited 08/09/16

Hey Craig-- I checked with our Ops team about this and the Status page is reserved for systemic issues that result in outages or unavailability of services. At this time, we don't include all bugs on this page, but we're always happy to provide as much information as we have on bug issues via email or in response to posts here in Community.

• Dear Paul,

Here is the solution, I got this today.

Hello Samir,

Thanks for your patience with this issue. I just got word that tonight we put out a hotfix which should resolve the issue with the auto-number column. After logging out (Account > Sign Out) and back in, there are some steps though that you’ll need to take first to correct the rows with duplicate numbers. To do this, try the following:

- Create a new Text/Number column
    - Copy the data from your Auto-Number column and paste into the new column
    - Correct the duplicate numbers in the new column
    - Delete the Auto-Number column
    - Double-click the column header on the new Text/Number column and change it to an Auto-Number column

Once done, newly entered rows should increment appropriately but let us know if you run into any problems.

I could't fix the duplicated numbers but I didn't have that much becouse I closed the web-form when I noticed the duplication. Maybe it will work out for you.

Auto-numbering started from where he started to duplicated the numbers.

• Paul H
    Paul H ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks Samir,  I got the same instructions from support and got it working.

For anyone else reading if you do renumber the duplicates, you have set the starting number otherwise it jumps back to where bug began

This discussion has been closed.