#INVALID OPERATION (SUMIF/SUMIFS to blame?)

RMRGSA
RMRGSA
edited 12/09/19 in Formulas and Functions

The formula I'm trying to fix was not reporting our information correctly so I built a new formula in a test environment and it appeared to be working as intended only for me to find that when applying it in a live setting, the result was constant #INVALID OPERATION errors.

The formula is this:

=IF([Est. Annual Rent]@row = 0, " ", IF(SUMIF([Project No.]:[Project No.], [Project No.]@row, [Est. Annual Rent]:[Est. Annual Rent]) < 280000, "LEVEL I", IF([Project Aggregate Total Contract Value]@row < 10000000, "LEVEL II", IF([Project Aggregate Total Contract Value]@row > 10000000, "LEVEL III"))))

I made another version two with a modification to the end of the formula to see if that would help (It didn't):

=IF([Est. Annual Rent]@row = 0, "", IF(SUMIF([Project No.]:[Project No.], [Project No.]@row, [Est. Annual Rent]:[Est. Annual Rent]) < 280000, "LEVEL I", IF([Project Aggregate Total Contract Value]@row < 10000000, "LEVEL II", "LEVEL III")))

What I've Tried:

1. In both the testing and live environments, all the column types are Text/Number.
  2. I switched the SUMIF to SUMIFS (As well as switching the range/criteria ranges to match what the function calls for)
  3. Rewriting the formulas from scratch to ensure syntax wasn't the issue (It still may be)

Screen Shots included to show column structure and errors

Working Capture.PNG

Broken Capture.PNG

Comments

• Alejandra
    Alejandra Employee

Hello,

I wasn't seeing an issue with the operators at first, so I created a sheet with the same column names and then pasted your formula in, but it worked just fine.

I went ahead and reached out to our Support team so they can refresh your sheets just in case that helps. If you're still receiving the #INVALID OPERATION error I'd recommend reaching out to our Support team directly so they can help you troubleshoot.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!