Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

How to Schedule Tasks Based on Resource Availability?

I'm looking for a feature or function that will automatically schedule a set of tasks based on the availability of the resources assigned to the task. 

I've got a list of tasks that are each assigned to a resource and estimated with a duration, but these tasks do not have start dates and end dates set (yet). Is there a way to automatically create a baseline plan that starts at the top of the list and sets the start date based on the availability of the resource assigned? 

For example, if there is a 3 day task assigned to Bob followed by a 2 day task assigned to Bob, I want the second task to start on day 4 and end on day 5, even if there is no dependency set.  This is a feature I have used in other project management systems, but I haven't found a way to do this in SmartSheet yet.

Comments

• Heidi Decker
    Heidi Decker ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Michael,

I believe the only way to do what you're looking for is to set the dependancies between all the tasks. Then once you set the first date the rest will automatically be set according to what your dependancies are.

Peace.

• Heidi,  Thanks for the reply!

• nitk07ganesh8936
    edited 10/28/16

Hello,

an article entiteld  Modeling of a scheduling problem with expected availability of resources  discusses this problem.

This article may help you to Schedule Tasks Based on Resource Availability.

• I would very much like this feature as well.  I have used MS Project and other PM tools, but am new to Smartsheet.  It seems that this "autoschedule" capability and also task duration adjustment based on resource availability is lacking in Smartsheet.  Has this been addressed?  I am surprised that such fundamental PM tool features are not included for scheduling.

This discussion has been closed.