Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

BUG - Alerts not Alerting

Christian Wells
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

Hello Smartsheet,

3 months ago I used smartsheet to manage issues found during testing,

Last week I used the exact same smartsheet to manage a new round of testing.

This time there have been no Alerts  sent.......

It is as if the "Changes" option has just been deleted out of the alert.  Dont know how this can be done, I assume it may have been during an update or the like. 

Comments

• Christian Wells
    edited 08/15/16

Adding to the Discussion,

The top is the old alert  Redbox shows the "What changed" missing, Somehow?

The bottom is a new alert I have had to create.

alerts.jpg

alerts 1.jpg

• Brad Jones
    Brad Jones ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Christian,

Not sure if this is the case, but as a reminder the changes that you make will not send alerts to you.  It is a pain in the butt that you can't see your own changes - and I'm not sure why they do it that way, but it is the current structure.

Problem described here - no solution yet:

https://community.smartsheet.com/discussion/feature-request-comprehensive-notification-setting

If that's not the case, you'll get a faster response by emailing support than by posting it in the forum.

Good luck,

Brad

• Jae Anderson
    Jae Anderson ✭✭✭✭

If the alerts are not being received by users, it could be that the user has unsubscribed,  Even if you reactive the alerts they will not get them until you delete them off the sheet and add them again.

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 09/19/16

Christian,

Was Row ID by chance an auto-number column?

In the Aug 8th release, there was a change to that functionality and some of the auto-numbering fields did not work correctly.

Some were fixed by a quick patch from the Smartsheet developers, some had to be fixed by the end-user by changing the column and then turning the auto-numbering back on.

You might have been bitten by one of those scenarios.

Also, if someone changed the column name, it might do this as well, I believe.

Craig

• Hi J. Craig..

Yes it was a Autonumber field, and I did fix it by recreating the field.

It is still working now since then. but at the time, the no Alerts caused a headache.

Thanks

What don't you know about smartsheet?

&

Why didnt a Smartsheet staffer reply with that answer?

I also posted the issue into the Support Area of Smartsheet....

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Christian,

There's a lot I don't know (about Smartsheet). I usually can make a decent guess when I run across them and want to know the answer though. Thank you for the compliment.

For example, I don't know why a staffer did not answer, but I can guess.

While the daily volume of Community new threads is small, there are also updates.

I believe that there are only a few people that may have something related to the Community at Smartsheet in their job description. And as the feature set grows, the number of people that have a full knowledge of even most of the features and even a cursory knowledge of the others will diminish. Add that with the other places where support requests or threads are being created (I have no idea of how many forums that may be, but I know of at least three) and the likelihood of the right person seeing the right thread falls rapidly.

We are fortunate that Smartsheet hires persons to look after the Community. Kennedy and Travis before her were/are fantastic. But they don't know everything. And when they start to learn more, like in minor league sports they get promoted and move on to further greatness.

Wow, that was a rant. Let me ease of the soap box before I break something.

Also, I don't know what has 'happened' in the Community since mid-August. I've been hyper busy and have a lot of catching up to do. Maybe in October.

Craig

This discussion has been closed.