Formula to calculate project number based on group

Options
Grace N
Grace N
edited 12/09/19 in Formulas and Functions

Hi 

I want to calculate a project number based on what group it is in. In this example, there are 16 projects among 4 departments. I entered the 3rd column manually; i.e. the first digit is the department number and the second digit is the nth project for that department. What formula can I use to calculate the values in the 3rd column?

Thanks

-Grace

2019-09-23 170742.png

Tags:

Comments

• BernardW
    Options

Does the project number have to indicate how many projects there are in a department?  If so, why?  If not, I would use the auto number functionality and prefix/append it with the department and formatting to obtain the desired results.  For example: <Dept#>-<auto num>

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You would first need to establish which department is which department number. If you are actually using "Department #", then you can use a RIGHT function.

=RIGHT(Department@row, 1)

If you are using actual department names such as "Admin", "Production", etc, you will want to write a nested IF statement to generate the appropriate number. For example...

=IF(Department@row = "Admin", "1", IF(Department@row = "Production", "2", ...............................))))

NOTE: I intentionally put quotes around the numbers in the IF statement and left the RIGHT function as is to generate a text value as opposed to a numerical value.

Next we will add in the ".".

=first_formula_choice + "."

Then we add the count for the number of projects for that department.

first_formula_choice + "." + COUNTIFS(Department$1:Department@row, Department@row)

NOTE: The $ before the row reference to lock in row 1 as the start of your range.

Let me know how that works out for you.

• Grace N
    Options

Thanks, Paul. Your formula works for me. 

I have a follow up question. I want to have 2 digits to the right of the decimal point. I modified your formula as follows: 

=RIGHT(Department24, 1) + "." + IF(COUNTIFS(Department$1:Department@row, Department@row) < 10, "0" + COUNTIFS(Department$1:Department@row, Department@row), COUNTIFS(Department$1:Department@row, Department@row))

Is there a more elegant solution?

-Grace

2019-09-24 101034.png

• Grace N
    Options

Oops, my formula should be 

=RIGHT(Department@row, 1) + "." + IF(COUNTIFS(Department$1:Department@rowDepartment@row) < 10, "0" + COUNTIFS(Department$1:Department@rowDepartment@row), COUNTIFS(Department$1:Department@rowDepartment@row))

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

There isn't much in the way of "elegance" that can be added other than simplifying the IF(COUNTIFS portion just a little.

Think of it this way...

If you leave the third portion of an IF statement empty, then you would have a potential of two different results. Either the specified result if true, or blank.

.....................IF(COUNTIFS(Department$1:Department@rowDepartment@row) < 10, "0" + COUNTIFS(Department$1:Department@rowDepartment@row), COUNTIFS(Department$1:Department@rowDepartment@row)..............

You can actually use an IF statement to say if the COUNTIFS is less than 10, "0". If it's true, then you get a 0. If it isn't, it leaves a blank. Then you add your COUNTIFS regardless of what it is.

.....................IF(COUNTIFS(Department$1:Department@rowDepartment@row) < 10, "0") + COUNTIFS(Department$1:Department@rowDepartment@row).............

Which would leave you with:

=RIGHT(Department@row, 1) + "." + IF(COUNTIFS(Department$1:Department@rowDepartment@row) < 10, "0") + COUNTIFS(Department$1:Department@rowDepartment@row))

Saves a few keystrokes but does the same exact thing.

I use this idea frequently with a nested IF to account for numbers under 10000.

......IF(COUNTIFS(.......................) < 10, "000", IF(COUNTIFS(.......................) < 100, "00", IF(COUNTIFS(.......................) < 1000, "0"))) + COUNTIFS(.......................)......

• Grace N
    Options

Thanks again, Paul

I got an INCORRECT ARGUMENT error due to an extra ")" in your formula. This is the corrected formula

=RIGHT(Department@row, 1) + "." + IF(COUNTIFS(Department$1:Department@row, Department@row) < 10, "0") + COUNTIFS(Department$1:Department@row, Department@row)

-Grace

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Sorry about that. Glad you were able to get it working. Happy to help! 

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!