Auto-fill an overwrite-able value

khankoff
khankoff ✭✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Formulas and Functions

Hi Community,

I have a worksheet with a column (let's call it "FPD Factor") for calculating how many files can be scanned per day by a process.  I would like for every new record created to have that column auto-populated with "70,000", but want it to be overwrite-able by someone.  I plan to use the FPD Factor value in a calculation that forecasts/estimates when a certain number of files to be scanned will finish.  I know how to do all of the formula's, but am struggling with how to set up the column so that any new records have a value of 70,000.

I'm using forms for some (but not all) entries into this worksheet, so that won't solve my problem.

Suggestions?  It's worth a coffee at Engage if you'll be there.

Thanks.

Comments

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Only a coffee?!? Hahaha. Just kidding. Haha

But in answer to your question...

You have obviously noticed that using the default value in your forms would work, but as you mentioned, not all entries are made by a form.

The only thing I can think of is (if you are using this value in a formula), to use an IF statement within your formula referencing this number along the lines of...

original formula_[FPD Factor]@row_rest of original formula

would change to 

original formula_IF(ISBLANK([FPD Factor]@row), 70000, [FPD Factor]@row)_rest of original formula

If you are using it as a display value, you could have a second column with that same IF statement in it.

If neither of those options work, could you explain how you are using this data?

• khankoff
    khankoff ✭✭✭✭✭

OK, Paul, it's worth more than a coffee.  Personally, I'm a big fan of signature cocktails.  Just ask my Smartsheet Account Manager. ;)

I'll think on your suggestion.  Lately (in an effort to just get on with it), I've been thinking that I'll have a blank column that can be used if populated.  In other words, I'll build my formula the way you've suggested (if blank use 70K, else whatever is in the field).  

Additionally, I'll keep my eyes and ears open at Engage for other possibilities, but I've got other more pressing problems to try and solve while there.

Cheers.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Haha. I'm more of a "neat" drinker myself, but I wouldn't complain about some coffee right about now though. Work, work, and more work.

I personally won't be able to make it to ENGAGE this year though (total bummer). :(

The hard part with finding a solution for you is that manually entered text does not autofill into new rows. Formulas do, but if someone manually changes that number, then the formula is erased and will no longer autofill. Thus the reason for either a separate column or the IF statement built into current formulas.

Good luck finding what you need at ENGAGE! Hopefully they're able to find you something that works a little smoother.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Ken,

The third-party service, Zapier is an excellent option for this scenario. Is that an option for you?

We could set it up so that each time a row is added the 70000 is added to the FPD Factor cell.

Would that work?

Hope that helps!

Have a fantastic day!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

work-bold

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• khankoff
    khankoff ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Andree,

It might be, but doing so would give the appearance to many that we are adding a layer of complexity.  The company for which I am currently contracting is just getting accustomed to using this fully cloud-hosted tool.  Integrating with another would make them that much more nervous.  However, I do appreciate the suggestion, as Zapier may be something to look at for future (more complex) requirements.

Cheers,

Ken

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I'm always happy to help!

One step at a time! ;)

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!