formula to check box if attachment is uploaded

wendy.white
wendy.white ✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Formulas and Functions

I wanted to create a formula to check a box if an attachment was uploaded on a row but I haven't run across this function yet.  Does smartsheet allow this?

Comments

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Wendy,

Unfortunately, it's not possible at the moment because there isn't a way to use a formula with attachments, but it's an excellent idea!

Please submit an Enhancement Request when you have a moment.

As a possible workaround, you could have an Approval Workflow triggered when an attachment is added and have that change a status column that then could check the box.

Would that work?

Hope that helps!

Have a fantastic day!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

work-bold

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Wendy: As Andrée already said, there isn't a formula for this but Automated Workflows with a properly configured trigger might get you close. Could you tell me more about the use case you have in mind for this? If it is easier for you to discuss on the phone, please use this link to set up time with me to discuss.

--

Scott Willeke | Smartsheet

Director of Product Management

• Hi Andree,

Sorry this is a late response, but I'm interested in this process as well and have been trying to set up an Approval Workflow like you mentioned--it's currently set up with the trigger being that an attachment is added but I'm confused about the second part on changing the status column. My next action after the trigger is to request an approval but how would I set it up to check a box? The column is currently formatted as checkbox. Thanks for the help!

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Taylor,

No worries!

Let's say that you have an Approval Workflow that changes the Approval Status to "Submitted" we would then use that in the checkbox column.

Try something like this.

=IF([Approval Status]@row = "Submitted"; 1)

The same version but with the below changes for your and others convenience.

=IF([Approval Status]@row = "Submitted", 1)

Depending on your country, you’ll need to exchange the comma to a period and the semi-colon to a comma.

Make sense?

Have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• @Scott Willeke Curios if there has been any progress in development or releasing a new Smartsheet feature that would allow us to reference attachments in a formula. I too have a use case for this enhancement request. Has it been added to your roadmap?

Secondly, I'm struggling with the concept of an "Approval Workflow" that would change a status column. Can you explain further please?

Thanks,

Karla B.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!