Formula for summarized health indicators for discrete categories

stilesb
stilesb
edited 12/09/19 in Formulas and Functions

Hello,

Perhaps this has been answered elsewhere - in which case I appreciate being redirected. 

I am trying to determine if it is possible to create formulae that summarizes a health indicator symbol (Red, Yellow, Green) across multiple rows in a sheet, when further categorized by a variable in another column. So, in other words, I am trying to get a aggregate health symbol across each row/task in a given project, by task type category. This variable is "Task Type" (which includes 4 items: Training, Evaluation, Marketing, and Leadership). 

Is this feasible and, if so, what recommendations would you have for parsing out the formula?

Happy to provide further information in case this is coming across garbled. 

Bryan

Comments

• Debbie Sawyer
    Debbie Sawyer ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hello Bryan

Yes - it is possible to summarise data on more than 1 column in a row (if that is what you are asking!)

Using the =SUMIFS() to total values in a column where the health status is X and the TaskType is Y or =COUNTIFS() to see how many entries match a health status being X while the TaskType is Y.

I'd be happy to help formulate the function with you if you are willing to leave a little more information about the scenario you have.

Kind regards

Debbie Sawyer Consultant & Training Manager

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!