Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Feature Request: Mimic specific sheet(s) in Report

J. Craig Williams
J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

This can be done manually, but is time consuming:

I would like a Report that mimics a specific sheet*.

That is, the Report would display all columns in the same order as displayed in the sheet.

Currently, this is a manual process which is OK for a sheet with a dozen (or even two) columns, but I'm working with sheets that have a hundred or more columns.

What I want is to create the "master" report that looks just like the sheet, and then cut out 20 or 30 columns for Report A, a different set of columns for Report B, and so on.

To set up manually requires selecting the columns one by one and/or reordering them one by one. If I don't have access to a second monitor while doing this,

I want to select a sheet and say "create report from this sheet" and it would reproduce the sheet as a report -

Where? = the sheet selected

Who? = blank

What? = Primary Column not blank or some other selection that results in all rows returned

When? = blank

When created there are three possiblities:

1. I want to continue working in the sheet

2. I want to use the Report directly

3. I want to open the Report Builder.

It would be nice if I could choose the option I want when I select "create report from ..."

but that won't save as much effort as the main functionality.

For a complex work flows, this could save me days of effort.

Craig

* (or set of sheets with the same column structure - which would be easiy to update after the initial report was created)

Tags:

Comments

• Tim Meeks
    Tim Meeks ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hear, hear!!!

I don't have a sheet that big, but getting the columns in the correct order and renaming the Primary column is always a hassle.

Tim

• Hi Craig-- Thanks for this input and as always for providing a thorough outline of how it would improve your workflow. I've passed this on to our Product team and will also bring it up at my monthly meeting with our PMs to see if we have anything like this in the pipeline already!

This discussion has been closed.