Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Cross Sheet Resource Leveling

Thor Leach
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

Here's my dilemma...

13 simultanious projects with a single team of 12 -14 people plus a few outide vendors and contractors.

I can set dependancies within a single project and carefully arrange schedules to maximize effeciency and make sure no one is over allocated. OK, no problem. And yes, before Craig asks, I can even have everyone involved look at the schedule and sign off on it. However, it's impossible for me to do this across all 13 projects in real time.

As soon as one thing changes in one of the schedules, the ripple effect destroys any carefully calculated manual offsets that I might try to build into the various schedules and BAM! POW! WHACK! everybody's at either 300% or 0%. When I start linking cells and setting dependencies, it can often be even worse. As soon as I do that, Team Member A is scheduled to perform vitals tasks while she's on vacation and now we're a week behind on that project which ripples out another project and we end up missing a fixed start date with an outside vendor.

If I spend a not inconsiderable amount of time fixing everything, it just breaks again the moment a deadline gets missed, somebody calls in sick or a UPS shipment doesn't arrive on time (or sits in the mail room for 2 days before anybody thinks to look for it).

Resource View might help reconcile resources for one or two projects at a time, but it's basically useless in this situation

Any ideas? 

Comments

• I think this is a bit complex and requires a workflow discussion with the SmartSheet experts.  If you email support@smartsheet.com this would be your starting point.  Tony

• https://www.smartsheet.com/apps/meisterplan

Submitted to Support as suggested. Also looked through the integrations and found Meisterplan. It seems to offer the ability to visualize projects and resources all in the same place, shows over allocation, and allows for a at least some rearranging/reordering of projects (I'm unclear as to whether you can adjust individual resources within a project or if you can only change dates at the project level. 

Oh, and it's 99 Euros per month.

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 10/03/16

Did someone call me?

99 Euros / month is pricey, unless your program managers understand what you are getting for it. Cheap compared to MS Project Server (out of the box MS Project will have the same headaches as Smartsheet)

My previous boss wouldn't pay for Server, but he didn't know how to level resources in the basic MS Project either, so I understand why.

I've added this to my to-investigate list. Thanks for the link Thor.

Craig

This discussion has been closed.