Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Run Report on 'Highlighted Changes'

Si Spence
Si Spence ✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

we have a large smartsheet with 300 (plus) rows and 25 columns and wish to quickly focus in on any cells that have had a change.  I understand how to use the 'highlight cells' function, but the problem is that i then need to scroll down through all the data to see any highlighted changes.  Is there a way of getting what we want or creating a report?

Comments

• Heidi Decker
    Heidi Decker ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Si,

You could add a column with the Auto number/system, using the modified date and then use that to run a report that would bring changes made since whatever date you choose to run the report by. I would continue to turn on the highlighting so you'll know which fields were modified in the report. Hope that helps, Peace!

• Si Spence
    Si Spence ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Heidi, Thanks.

would this work-round necesitate changing the parameters each time we wanted to run the report?

• Heidi Decker
    Heidi Decker ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Si,

It depends on how offten you are looking for changes. If your looking for changes that happened today and your report is pulling modifications from today, then NO, you would not have to change the parameters of the report. Take a look at all the options available in the reporting tool. It's a very quick change if you do need to make the change.

Peace!

• Brad Jones
    Brad Jones ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Si,

I'm trying to do the same thing, but with 5 sheets for a total of 3000lines.  Thought a report would do the trick, just highlight the recent changes.  However, reports don't always catch what you're looking for, like ALL the changes.

Report WARNING, the "modified" system value does not take into account any changes to the comments or attachments.  So, if you're running a report and looking at changes in the past day, then the report will outright ignore any comment changes unless they were accompanied by cell changes in the target sheet.

Total bummerFrown

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

There is also no way to programmitally capture the change using formulas.

Testing with Zapier (www.zapier.com) shows that they don't see comments/attachments as a change either.

You should notice that when a comment/attachment is updated, the "Save" icon does not change.

This leads me to believe that while the change looks easy on the surface, it probably isn't. :(

Craig

This discussion has been closed.