Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Rows being removed

Options

Comments

• Hi Travis,

Regards to your post on December 14, 2015 3:37 pm...

Smartsheet can tell us the row that was deleted and tell us the former row #.

If rows are added, I would assume that 1000 rows would be listed if someone did, in fact, create 1000 new rows. 

I get both row additions and deletions. 

Additions are helpful, as  I can see new material and take action, if needed.

But, the nofitications that indicate rows being deleted have little value. What if someone accidentally deleted a row? If a notification was sent with that deleted material, I would have record of what was deleted and can repopulate, if needed.

I wish I could use the row lock, or roles to prevent this, but I cannot in our case.

I would vote for Smartsheet to find a way to include the former row number (or find another way to design it). This would be very helpful.

• Travis
    Travis Employee
    Options

I appreciate the feedback Robert and I will submit it to the Product team!

• Brad Jones
    Brad Jones ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

https://community.smartsheet.com/discussion/prevent-deletion-rows-if-it-contains-locked-cells

This is the same post.

On most things I can afford some patience, but this post is 10months old Frown and this is a really BIG fail.  The inability of admins to control whether rows are deleted or re-ordered is a major pain.  We really must have control of this, because the process for restoring a line with the comments is not pleasant.  I cannot simply do a restore from a backup, yet.

• Atus Bartal
    Atus Bartal ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I fully agree, Brad. As I stated in the discussion you linked, this is an issue of data security. 

• Dave D
    Options

Brad, to confirm you want the use to have the ability to edit a row but not delete it? If the user can edit the row, they can just delete the content of the row... so even if you prevented them from deleting a row, they can still delete all the data in the row. And the attachments.

Discussions can only be deleted by an Admin/Owner/OP so that would be the only thing you would be preventing them from doing by restricting their ability to delete a row.

• Brad Jones
    Brad Jones ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 04/21/16
    Options

Correct Dave,

What we want is to prevent users from deleting a row.  Example, I have a sheet with 10 columns, and the first five columns are locked.  I want the users to fill in the last 5 columns with their information, but not to edit the 1-5 or delete / rearrange the rows.

We, like others, need to have data security.  Currently, if a user needs to have editing rights to even one cell in a row then they have enough rights delete the entire row - and this is REALLY bad.

As for discussions, a user can delete any discussion comment that they create.  And if they delete the row then they have deleted the entire discussion thread.

This is not a feature request, this is a FIX request.

• Dave D
    Options

Thanks for the info, your use case makes a lot of sense! Lock columns, so they can only edit certain fields, but they should be able to delete the row.

• Brad Jones
    Brad Jones ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

...should NOT be able to delete the rows. :)

• Dave D
    Options

Woops, yes. Should NOT be able to delete the rows :)

• Barry Jolly
    Options

Is anyone from Smartsheet taking any notice?  I'd like to see some comment from them on this &, better, when we will get the enhancement? 

• Travis
    Travis Employee
    Options

Hi Barry, I work for Smartsheet and part of my job is passing along all user feedback from the Community to our Product team.

I have added votes for this request for everyone who has posted in this thread and I will continue to add votes for anyone else wanting to see this enhancement. 

I will also post here if there are any updates to this request but the best place to look for information on what we are working on is our product roadmap and check out our release notes to see what we have released in past updates. 

• Jorge Castilla
    Options

Here's another vote for preventing editors from deleting rows.

• Sham K
    Sham K
    edited 05/03/16
    Options

Yes. I vote for this as well. 

• Brad Jones
    Brad Jones ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I believe,

given that there is not a true backup and restore system available for SS, and that users have the rights to delete the history of an entire row if they have access to edit even one cell in a row,

that this subject should be at the top of Smartsheets development list.

If we can't properly secure our data from deletion, and our backups don't include links, formulas, histories, etc -  then an undue burden is placed on the users to be super careful and on the admins to constatnly monitor the changes.  

Please please make give us a fix soon.

• Chris Gambrell
    Options

Travis, does it really take votes to make a fix to a significant concern happen?  If so, here's another vote.  I will add that the manager I report to is strongly considering us moving to an alternative platform in great part to this issue.  So count that as 2 votes if you like.

This discussion has been closed.