Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Sequence of fields in update request

Chris Winfield
Chris Winfield ✭✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

Hi All,

Can anyone tell me if there is a reliable way to set the sequence for fields that are part of an update request?

I'm using a report, with the fields ordered in the sequence I want left-to-right, and most of them feature in this sequence on the update request. However, a few fields are out of sequence and I can't fgure out why.

Any suggestions appreciated!

Thanks,

Chris

Comments

• Hi Chris,

When using various features from a Report, column order can't be guaranteed. Reports query data from source sheets and typically aren't aware of column order. They can appear alphabetically in a feature or possibly in the order  from when they were first queried on the Report.

It's typically best to send the Update Request from the source sheet instead of the report so that you can have a more controllable column order. I'll pass your feedback along to our Product team for better control over this in a Report.

• Chris Winfield
    Chris Winfield ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi There,

Thanks for the feedback - good to know this is a real issue, not my oversight.

The reason this is relevant for us is that we have a project register that has about 800 rows and hundreds of columns. i.e. not at all practical to send update requests for project managers from.

it would be helpful if we could have a little more control over this.

Chris

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with Chris:

it would be helpful if we could have a little more control over this.

Please add my vote for this feature request.

Craig

• Thanks Craig—I've passed your feedback along to our Product team as well.

This discussion has been closed.