Auto Populate

Options
GK2019
GK2019
edited 12/09/19 in Formulas and Functions

Hello all! I am trying to have a cell auto populate information based upon values in another sheet. For example, in Sheet 1, I have the columns "Customer" and "Notes". In Sheet 2, I have the same columns. I would like to enter a formula in Sheet 1 in the Notes column which would auto populate the notes from Sheet 2 when the Customer is added in Sheet 1. Is this possible? I tried the vlookup function, but that failed. Thanks for any help you can provide! 

Comments

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Is the customer already in Sheet 2 or will they be? If you are manually entering the customer into both sheets and want to pull only the notes, it is actually rather straight forward.

If you are wanting to enter a customer into Sheet 1 and want to essentially copy that row into Sheet 2, it can be set up within Smartsheet (can get a little cumbersome), or you can use a 3rd party app such as Zapier (very easy, but can exceed the "free" limits depending on how frequently a new customer is added).

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi,

Will the sheets be identical?

Can you describe your process in more detail and maybe share the sheet(s) or some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@getdone.se)

I hope that helps!

Have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

work-bold

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• GK2019
    Options

Hi! Thanks for your response. The Customer is already in both sheets, and I link the Customer in Sheet 1 from the Customer row in Sheet 2.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Ok. Since the customer is already in both sheets, the most effective way of pulling the notes from sheet 2 to sheet 1 would be this:

In the Notes column of Sheet 1, enter

=INDEX(

In the formula helper dialog box that appears below the cell you are typing in, click on the link to "Reference Another Sheet".

You will then select Sheet 2 on the left, then click on the Notes column header.

Then click on the "Insert Reference" button in the bottom right corner. You should now be back on Sheet 1 with this:

=INDEX({Sheet 2 Range 1}

Next type in

, MATCH([Customer Column Name]@row

which gives you 

=INDEX({Sheet 2 Range 1}, MATCH([Customer Column Name]@row

Following the steps above to reference another sheet, select the Customer column header in Sheet 2.

Once you insert that reference, you should see something like this...

=INDEX({Sheet 2 Range 1}, MATCH([Customer Column Name]@row, {Sheet 2 Range 2}

Finish it off with 

, 0))

for a final formula of 

=INDEX({Sheet 2 Range 1}, MATCH([Customer Column Name]@row, {Sheet 2 Range 2}, 0))

What this does is looks down the Notes column from your other sheet and pulls the data for whatever row where the Customer matches.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!