Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Entering date format similarly to MS Project

Reg Lec
Reg Lec
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

Hi all.

looking for advice on how to potentialyl change the date that apepars in the start and end date column formats from xx/xx/xx to (for example) Wed xx/xx/xx. Is there a setting that allows you to change this? Not being able to see the day of the week is a bit of a challenge when putting together plans that have day of the week restrictions.

THanks! 

Reg

Comments

• Hi Reg,

It looks like Tony posted our Help Center article on changing the date format, but I wanted to let you know that we currently don't have a way to change the format to display the day of the week. 

Our Development team is currenly hard at work on providing multiple date formats down the road. In the mean time, however, there is a workaround you can implement using a formula in a different column!

Create a text/number column next to your date column, and place a formula similar to the one below in the column:

=IF(WEEKDAY([Due Date]1) = 1, "Sunday", IF(WEEKDAY([Due Date]1) = 2, "Monday", IF(WEEKDAY([Due Date]1) = 3, "Tuesday", IF(WEEKDAY([Due Date]1) = 4, "Wednesday", IF(WEEKDAY([Due Date]1) = 5, "Thursday", IF(WEEKDAY([Due Date]1) = 6, "Friday", IF(WEEKDAY([Due Date]1) = 7, "Saturday")))))))

The above formula extracts the weekday and will return a text value based on the weekday given. You'll want to change the cell reference to match that of your column. Another callout is that this formula is long, so I'd recommend against using it on extensive sheets that already include several formulas and/or several rows/columns.

• Narlee
    Narlee
    edited 10/13/16

I noticed that, although my (US) date format is MM/DD/YY, when I use the Finish Date column in a concatenated column, for use as a bar label, that it add the time of day to it as well. Is there a way then to 1) prevent this and 2) use the solution to further customize the Finish Date in the bar label to, say, MM/DD?

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

1) To remove the time - use DATEONLY()

2) You can have any column as the Gantt chart bar, so you could have a column for the MM/DD formula

=LEFT([Finish Date]23,5) should work.

Hope this helps.

Craig

This discussion has been closed.