Changing Ownership of Workspaces

Sean Taber
Sean Taber ✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

Hello,

I need to change the owner of a couple workspaces I'm the owner of.  I read the instructions but it's still unclear what steps I need to take.  Do I make the person the owner of every item in the workspace first and then the owner of the entire workspace?

Comments

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭

You will have to share the individual sheets but this is easy to do from the home menu once you navigate into the workspace.

1. Navigate into the workspace
    2. In the upper-left hand corner under actions and choose share.
    3. All of the sheets should be selected, find the person in the list you want to be the owner (make sure the sheet icon and not the workspace icon is next to their name).
    4. Select the sharing type and choose make owner. 
    5. You will see a prompt that says they will be notified. Choose okay. 
    6. Once the person accepts the ownership of the sheets, you can then repeat the process with the icon of the workspace next to the person's name to make them the owner. 

Note: Only licensed users can own sheets and workspaces. 

1_0.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Sean,

Another method that I use all the time when I need to transfer a client solution is:

• make sure that the Workspace is shared
    • add everything in the Workspace to a folder
    • ask my client to move that folder to their Home section (or I remote control and do it for them)
    • They become the owner of everything in the folder
    • I then ask them to either create a new Workspace or use the existing one and move everything back to it
    • The last step would be to make them the owner of the Workspace

The advantage of this method, in my opinion, is that I can make my client the owner very quickly.

I hope that helps!

Have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

work-boldimage

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Sean Taber
    Sean Taber ✭✭✭✭

I tried the first method and it's not working.  I navigated to the workspace from the workspaces icon and by clicking directly into the workspace.  Both ways create the same outcome.  I can only share the workspace.  

I don't think the second method will work because there are a ton of sheets in the workspace along with formula sheets and dashboards.  I'd prefer to keep everything in there to share it.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

OK. Makes sense!

There are different options and it's a matter of preference.

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Mark for the instructions you gave - steps 1 - 3

1. Navigate into the workspace
    2. In the upper-left hand corner under actions and choose share.
    3. All of the sheets should be selected, 

Point 3 does not appear to be the case if there is more than one sheet /report in the workspace.

The menu off "Actions" is much more limited when multiple items selected.

I can only find a way to change sharing for a user item by item within a workspace. Not a bulk change (within the workspace) as I thought your instructions implied.

Am I missing something.

Regards,

Jacob

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Jacob Morgan

You're not missing something.

Unfortunately, it's not possible at the moment to share more than one item (if you don't share the Workspace), but it's an excellent idea!

Please submit an Enhancement Request when you have a moment

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!