Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Reply to a comment received via email

Si Spence
Si Spence ✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

so, i've received an outlook email notifying me that a comment has been made in a certain row. What i cant see is a way to click directly back to that row from within Outlook in order to respond.

How do other SS users reply to comments that you receive via email please?

Thanks,  Si.

Comments

• Typically, Notification emails have a login button that takes you to the sheet. If your notification provides specific row numbers, you can go to the rows by hitting Ctrl (Cmd on Mac) + G and typing in the row number.

This is the quickest way to navigate through your sheet and respond to comments on the row.

• Si Spence
    Si Spence ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Shaine,  that's not a very efficient way of working, is it.  The SS how to video on how easily Comments are replied to is really misleading.  the click though button should really go the row or even better the comment box itself for this function to be widly adopted.  what's happening is that people are receiving comments and just pinging a reply via email.

I was hoping that SS would have provided a more elegant way of working.

Did I read somewhere that SS were introducing a way to target a comment to a specific person?  In complex sheets, too many things are being missed with the current 'notify all' comments function.

#soapbox

• Shaine Greenwood
    Shaine Greenwood Employee
    edited 10/03/16

Hello Si,

I agree—the video makes it seem like less steps exist in the process. I'll get your vote down for a way to jump to the row or even to the comment itself so our Product team is aware.

You're correct in that we're working on introducing @mentions in comments down the road, although we don't have a specific timeframe for when this feature will be released in the app. Stay tuned! 

• +1 any update on the @mentions, or if when people respond to an E-mail it will be updated in the comments of the row / sheet?

This is a must have for collaboration where not everyone is going to adopt SS into their workflow.

• AV
    AV

Has this functionality been developed?  If not, when?  This is large factor in determining tool for my company.

Thank you.

• Having the same issue as well. @mentions would be fantastic or even just being able to add a comment back via email. 

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@mentions were discussed during the roadmap presentation at ENGAGE this year (as a coming feature). No target quarter was announced if I recall correctly.

Craig

• Si Spence
    Si Spence ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@shaine...any update on when we might get the deperately needed @mentions function in comments please?

• This seems like a no-brainer. Smartsheet has a lot of 'work-arounds' without correcting the real issues. Case-in-point: Baseline viewing in Gantt charts.

Give us more substance, less fluff!

• MParks
    MParks ✭✭

Voting for reply to comment emails and have that response added to the comment field.

This discussion has been closed.