Putting a block of text/numbers between Parent equations

KristinaEich
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

So I moved our subtotal from the bottom to the top, per other discussions in order to allow for automatic subtotal using =SUM(children()). The problem is that we then use the subtotal to in a sequence of equations to get the total. I can (have) offset the info, but anytime I try to move the additional tax equations in line with the subtotal, so that it makes sense visually, I get error hashtags. I assume it's because of a disruption in children rows, but is there a way line up the subtotal which is a SUM(children()) with the subsequent tax calculations without messing up the subtotal?

screenshot attached

Also is it possible to format the budget template to be outlined with borders around the cells?

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2019-11-07 at 2.05.07 PM.png

Comments

• Hi Kristina,

If I understand you correctly, you want the table with "Markup" and "Tax" etc directly beneath the Parent "Subtitle" row, but you do not want the calculation of the Markup and Tax included in your SUM(CHILDREN() function. The CHILDREN function will look at the rows that are one indent, or one hierarchy level, beneath the main parent row.

This means that in order to have additional rows indented beneath the Parent row, without having it a part of the CHILDREN calculation, you can make these rows children of a child row: create a new hierarchy. I've attached an example image of how you might want to do this. The second indent will remove it from the initial CHILDREN calculation, while visually having it indented below your Subtotal line.

In regards to your border question, there currently is no way to create a border around cells in Smartsheet. Please submit a Product Enhancement Request when you have a moment. As an alternative, in my screen capture you will notice that I coloured the background of the cells in the table to separate it from the other information in the sheet.

Let me know if I misunderstood what you were looking to do, or if you have any more questions.

Cheers!

Genevieve

Screen Shot 2019-11-11 at 9.38.22 AM.png

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now