Creative ways to show a form to a user

Colin_G
Colin_G ✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

Hi,

Not sure if this is possible but I thought I'd ask in case anyone has a creative workaround. I have a scenario where I want to send certain columns from one sheet to another. I'm able to do this using a checkbox and Zapier that does the heavy lifting. However, I'd love for there to be a way to bring up a form when a checkbox is entered - so when the user needs to send the data to another sheet, they could check the box and have a form pop up so they can enter some additional information that's sent to this other sheet. 

As I said above, I don't think this is possible, and I know the alternative is to just have the user navigate to the sheet to input the information, but I thought I'd ask anyway...

Thanks

Colin

Tags:

Comments

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Colin,

A possible workaround could be to trigger an Update Request and fill that in.

Would that work?

I hope that helps!

Have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

work-bold

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Ian Soares
    Ian Soares ✭✭✭

I am trying to accomplish something similar to what Colin described above:

Here are my details:

I have a smartsheet titled "Meetings," that I take notes on. The sheet contains a column with checkboxes to signify whether the note is an Action Item.

I would like for smartsheet to open up a form whenever the box is checked, so that I could enter details for the action Item.

The form would then populate a new row on a separate sheet titled "Action Items."

It would be great if the form would autogenerate a sequential ID number for each new row (such as AI001).

• Hi @Ian Soares

What I would do in this instance is have a locked column in the sheet that has a Form URL populated as a clickable link in each cell.

That way when I check a box I can open up the Form (in a new window) and fill it out, sending that Form submission to the new sheet with the additional details.

You can use query strings to auto-populate certain content in the form if you need to duplicate some of your current row information. (See: Use a URL query string to prefill different default values for the same form)

Then in the other sheet, you can set up an auto-number column on that new sheet for your ID numbers.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now